Tuesday 21 April 2020

Down to the North Weir

Felt a need to be outside for longer today, so I walked rather than ran, a pattern I think I will alternate daily.

I ended up walking all the way down to the North Lock and Weir, under the bypass and old railway bridge, a post industrial landscape of which traces remain of the working nature of the area despite the increasing number of new houses along the river.

The North Weir is a powerful, intimidating flow of water, that seems to dredge up a whole load of chemical smells from the river's past. It never feels a healthy place to be, yet it and the old rail bridge are compelling sights.

You just have to watch out for the cowpats.

I did a little bit of binocular astronomy last night, in between watching last night's Starlink pass - not as impressive as the night before. I managed to locate the well known globular clusters Messier 13 in Hercules and Messier 5 in Serpens.

Tonight, we have Lyrid meteors on offer. Hopeful of seeing the odd one.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 21.04.20







2 comments: