Tuesday 7 April 2020

Cottage Lane Nature Reserve

Back running today, a beautiful late afternoon for a run too. It made me feel like going a bit further afield than the park or the cricket ground, so I headed out to Farndon.

When I last headed out to Cottage Lane reserve, we were in the midst of the February floods and while the reserve itself wasn't too bad, all the routes to the river beyond that were barred by marshy ground and ponds of standing water.

No such problems today after the sunny spells, and the reserve and beyond were far more pleasant places. It's only a small reserve, with small ponds and small stand of trees, but it was full of birdsong when I visited today, lots of small songbirds fluttering about, a chiff chaff singing and lots of calls I couldn't identify.

All the winter thrushes are long gone. Swallows and martins are being photographed in the area, but I haven't seen them yet. What I did see today from my tiny yard were two buzzards, soaring high above urban townscape, which I'm really not used to seeing.

This evening a solitary specimen circled lower, white patches on its wings clearly visible.

It's been good soaring weather.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 07.04.20











3 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to find such a tranquil space. There were several Song Thrushes singing when I went out the other morning - I didn't even know there were that many around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good run. Lovely series of photos and such a cute little pony!

    ReplyDelete