Tuesday 14 April 2020

Dining on Dandelions

A much nicer day today, and consequently there was much more to see as I went on my hour's worth of Boris Walk round our cricket ground and Sconce Park today.

I saw my first worker bumbles, three sand martins over the River Trent, lots of other things buzzing about, and pretty orange tip males making their way about the hedgerows in greater numbers than before.

Not seeing many brimstones, which is disappointing.

Lots of dandelions are in flower, like little glowing sunsets, and as ever they are a vital supply of food for early season pollinators. One of the customers was a beautifully pristine female green veined white butterfly, and the little mining bee you can see in the pictures below. It looks a little, er, little to be a tawny mining bee male and so I have no idea what species it is.

We had a couple of folk working at the cricket ground today, and we talked of renovation and the chance of getting any matches this summer. Maybe in late June early July we can play.

It was hard to hear, as I made sure I stood ten metres away.

This social distancing will be a hard habit for me to break.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 14.04.20










No comments:

Post a Comment