Sunday 7 August 2016

I've got an Immigrant Lodger

I've been delighted to see that I have had a large and buzzy visitor decide to take up residence in my garden.

The last few days, a lovely blue and green male migrant hawker has been patrolling the sycamore trees in the driveway, making staccato, ziggy zaggy flights around the leaves, presumably attracted by the large number of flying aphids that live under the leaves.

Every time I leave my flat on my bicycle, it comes over to investigate the giant invader of its territory, circling around me a few times before getting back to hunting amidst the branches.

It does settle on a twig very occasionally, but mostly out of my range. But today it paused lower down, enabling me to get a couple of shots. Pity it was in the shade. There was also quite a strong breeze blowing, so it nearly got blown into my face a couple of times.

It was kind enough to let me stroke its tummy!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 07.08.16



5 comments:

  1. What a brilliant visitor. Many do seem approachable this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fabulous! I've seen very few dragonflies this year. And I have a lake!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, it's really nice to have one flying around your tiny garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful visitor - have seen so few dragonflies this year.

    ReplyDelete