Tuesday 28 November 2017

My first day with Tresspass Handwarmer

I picked up these a few months ago in the Tresspass in Newark that pretended to be closing down for 6 months before it, er, didn't. They cost £3.99 I think, and I'd been waiting for a really cold cycle to work to try them out.

You see, I supper from horrendously bad hands in cold weather - possibly Reynaud's Disease - and when they get cold on my handlebars the agony can be near unbearable. Wearing two pairs of gloves doesn't seem to help; indeed it may make it worse if circulation gets restricted. So the idea of trying these reusable hand warmers seemed like a godsend; no more purple agony hands when riding in the cold winter we seem to be heading for.

You fire them up by bending a metallic disc in the middle of a transluscent greenish gel. Immediately it begins to cloud over, and generate heat.

It is very warm, and not uncomfortable, and I was able to slip them into the palms of my gloves. However, they do make holding the handlebars a little bit awkward. They also struggle to get the heat out to my fingertips.

They also don't last quite long enough! My commute is about 15 minutes, and they seemed to last about half the trip. The left thumb was starting to get really sore by the time I arrived, but it at least put the agony off for a bit.

You recharge them by boiling them in hot water for 15 minutes until the gel clears. But I haven't tried that yet.

I will report back!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 28.11.17



8 comments:

  1. I have been told that the silica gel packet things you get with some products work well, havent tried them but various bird watchers around use them. And say they work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try handlebar muffs for bicycles, best thing since sliced bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any firm who can sell hand-warmers before winter starts doesn't deserve to go out of business. Your £3.99 obviously saved them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cold hands !
    I know a lot about that from riding a motorcycle and traveling for 60 miles a day. I tried a variety of different gloves in my time on the road my best was a hand mitten with a fleece inner glove and a shell like guard over the handle bar to lessen the wind chill factor. I envied the BMW riders who had a warm air heater blowing on their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all, my search for a pain free winter continues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your search for a solution. We had a pretty cold bike ride last week, but don't suffer quite as much as you, I guess.

    ReplyDelete