Tuesday 21 July 2020

The Narrow Way

I've often wondered if it would be a good idea to try to buy a narrowboat to live on.

Today, when you see a pair of them cruising serenely down to the lock, happy groups of people at the wheel of them, it seems like the most idyllic thing in the world. Your home is also a mode of transport. You get to see some of the prettiest sights in the country.

Then on the flip side, there is the maintenance, the fact you still have to pay for mooring, the cold in winter, and all the fun of having to use a Thetford type toilet, or the rather terrifying sounding "mactator" lavatory.

I'm hopeless with my hands, would probably crash the thing if I sailed anywhere, and the idea of having to empty toilets is so gross to me I could probably never do it.

But still, the dream is there.

Si


3 comments:

  1. Why not have a practice? You can hire them. I too would love to live on a narrow boat. But I am too old and decrepit. You are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine had one; over the years it cost him a fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's what I would worry about John!

    ReplyDelete