Thursday 29 August 2019

Blaise Castle Walk

Last week I wrote of my walk to Canford Park and WEstbury on Trym from my sister's  house in Southmead in Bristol. Well, I didn't stop there.

I carried on walking, along a main road and a sharp did, and found myself on what I hoped would be a walk up to Blaise Castle, a feature I'd seen on a map but had no idea what was there.

As it turned out, it was a long, sticky walk along a path along the Hollow Beck, where children damned the stream and the occasional algae filled pond opened up beneath stone bridges.

The stream was at the bottom of a gorge, and high above rock walls stood vertical, lit by late afternoon sun. If there was a castle it was well hidden for sure.

I kept going, passing families out on bicycles and on foot; the path began to spiral.

I'd more or less given up finding anything when abruptly the route opened up onto an open field filled with people enjoying themselves, a cafe, playground and museum.

A crenellated tower was just visible above a stand of very tall trees, but when I tried to walk up to the castle I could find no route. Bugger that, I thought, and had a cup of tea amongst everyone enjoying the warm sun.

It isn't even a real castle - it's a folly!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 29.08.19









No comments:

Post a Comment