Sunday 18 August 2019

Another Merciless Execution in a Nice Sort of Way

Today we entertained Hoveringham on a bright and breezy afternoon that followed on from some sharp showers in the morning. Well I'm told they were sharp, I didn't actually notice anything other than a bit of light rain. But whatever it was, it wasn't enough to ruin the wicket and the ground was in fine condition thanks to our ground staff.

We ton the toss and batted, and I immediately got myself ready to do some...photography. I did ask the skipper if he wanted me to open, but was politely turned down in favour of real batsmen.

What then followed was an odd sort of innings, where no-one made a really big score, but most people got in and knocked a few around and ran between the wickets really well - apart from one little error. I guess that's because we didn't have the couple of first team bats we usually have been playing today, and had a vigorous young side. Apart from me, not so vigorous at 46.

I've been very fretful about my batting this year, largely because I've hardly done any. I did get to go in today though, and managed to take on the opposition fast bowler and got 5 off the 3 balls I was actually able to face. Only one duck for me this year, and with only 4 games to go this guarantees my best ever year in terms of getting big fat noughts.

After a less hearty tea than usual - sucks to be bowling second! - it was over to our apparently rather feared bowling attack. I think we are actually quite nice. I opened up anyway, and proceeded to bowl ball after ball either past the outside edge or over the top of middle stump. I did get the left handed opener LBW when I smacked on the ankle with a yorker, and after a frustrating three over passage when the batsman's only scoring shot was an edge past first slip, I managed to castle him.

Then it was two overs where literally every ball could have taken a wicket - but nothing doing. 8 overs 3 maidens 2 for 6 in the end.

Time to let the younger lads take over, and they did in some style, with our newly unquiffed young bowler ripping the middle over out to take 4 for 6, including their gun batsman who made a duck. That was that for the match, althugh seeing as they only scored 30 runs off the first 20 overs, it would have been a bit of a reach for him.

They also rather hamstrung themselves by putting their best techincal bat in at 11, who then got involved in a hideous run out. But, that's their call I guess.

Another ruthless display, to leave us firmly in the promotion mix up!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 18.08.19















5 comments:

  1. That shot of yellow flowers makes them look gigantic but I cant help thinking it just might be a close up shot of bird;s foot trefoil. Is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didnt you do well! It is lovely for me to see the cricket ground. Almost as good as the flower photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not as ruthlessly brutal as what was going on at Lords, I hope. That first photo sums up everything that is right about weekend cricket.

    ReplyDelete