Sunday 12 April 2015

Skylarks or Pipits on the Owl Road?

Today's main event was the Paris-Roubaix cycling race, and everything was geared around that really*. But I still managed to get out running this morning, and ran a 10km route around the Owl Road.

There was a strong wind blowing out in exposed country, but rather than the icy hellhounds of the North, this was a southerly breeze, a Saharan dragon laden with dust from the Sustrans 64 that clogged my eyes and mouth.

Out on the Owl Road itself, there were no snipe scared by my heavy step, but I did flush up some small birds with whitish rumps, and a flight consisting of steep climbs followed by sharp plummets. They might have been larks, but I fancy they were more likely meadow pipits, a bird that has delighted me as I watched them on Ilkley Moore in the past.

The other piece of news to note on my run; bluebells are out in Sconce Park oak wood.

Si

Half open bluebell

Not yet had the sun, these ones

But higher on the oak wood bank, these beauties are if full bloom. Note the flowers all on one side of the stalk, pretty sure these are native bluebells

Sweet mahonia in the Orchard

Sunset through my misty kitchen window

Weather front approaching



3 comments:

  1. Meadow pipits......totally envious. I have never seen one in the wild, only in books.
    We have bluebell woods around a mile from our home. They are so beautiful, a total joy to behold. I have some in the garden........they increase at a snails pace in my experience.

    I love the first image of the bluebell...............also your misty kitchen window :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely! Very enjoyable post. I don't get to see these pretty wildflowers but it is so nice learning about them. I was out taking pictures of wildflowers yesterday and came across Dutchman's Breeches, which I have only ever seen in photos. Always fun to see something for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something slightly alarming about a flower called "Dutchman's Breeches"!

    Really wild bluebells are hard to find round here in numbers. The cemetery ones look good when they are up, but they are semi cultivated.

    ReplyDelete