Sunday 30 June 2019

Cometh the Hour, Cometh the Man

Off to Hoveringham today to play on a very scenic  little ground, where oystercatchers made a peeping racket as they flew past, while house martins twittered about the treetops before the swifts came out to play later.

Lots of damselflies were out and about, and I found a peacock caterpillar when I was fielding at mid on. Hope it didn't get squished.

So we fielded first, and after the lump of plastecine we bowled on yesterday, today's wicket had much more carry and felt like I was able to bowl with more pace.

Of course, most of the runs scored off me were off streaky edges, and my wicket was taken off a rank ball. That's the way cricket goes.

We bowled pretty well as a unit, and at 100-9 we had Hoveringham in trouble. However, the last wicket pair managed to add 50 runs in a very annoying fashion and we didn't bowl well at them at the end. In the end, we did stump the last batsman, but they set us 150 to win.

I felt it was a bit much, especially as we only had 10 men versus their 11. We lost wickets steadily early doors, although our opener from yesterday scored 59 again and never looked in difficulty until the ball that bowled him. I did a big chunk of umpiring so didn't have time to take many photos alas, but I enjoyed waving my arms around, falling over when attempting to signal leg byes, and given stern faced "NOT OUT" decisions as they appealed at me.

I think most of us thought the game was gone when our experienced opener got out, but two young lads, both 14, played absolutely brilliantly for a good hour or so to chip away at the runs. Even the opposition fast bowler was seen off, which was a relief as there was no way I wanted to face him.

But I had to go in with 20 needed, and only two wickets left. I was very nervous, far more so than my young partner. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, especially as I had the sun shining straight in my face at one end.

Then I got my shit together, as they say, and hit a two before smashing the ball into a hedge for the first 6 of my life, much to the joy of the travelling Newark ultras.

Finished it off by hitting a 4 into the same hedge to win the match.

And now I am going to have a drink.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 30.06.19






5 comments: