Monday 8 March 2021

Dipping on the Glossy Ibis

 Well, today I did something I've never done before.

I "dipped" on a bird.

I've never before gone anywhere to look for a rare bird, I've never done anything "twitchy". But the opportunity of just taking a walk along the river to find the glossy ibis that has been hanging out behind the sugar factory was something I just had to do.

I have to say, the bird has picked a good spot. It's in a rather godforsaken part of town, in muddy fields beyond the Nether Lock and the weir. It wasn't a pretty walk by any stretch of the imagination, and the experience was not enhanced by various rusted shopping trolleys and bikes that had been dragged from the river and dumped. 

I wasn't quite sure where to go, but there was another birder down there who helped me find my way there, and she joined me as I crossed a drainage ditch on a makeshift bridge and wandered around an empty field full of discarded sugar beet.

The ibis had apparently been hanging around by a temporary pond in the middle of this field, but there was no sign of it. This means, in birdwatching terminology, that I had dipped on the bird. 

I may try again if the bird hangs around. And probably "dip" again.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 08.03.21







5 comments:

  1. A sort of industrial past supported by the river? As for the bird, maybe it knows how to remain largely undisturbed by 'out-for-a-stroll-humans'; only available to the devoted (like you)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep looking - I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that would be a great bird to see - better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. with the easiest, fastest, and most realistic workaround for PayPal error 50023. To repair it, one of the easiest options is to use the multi-order delivery app, which will assist you in creating a new mark. If it doesn't work, you can consider re-entering your account information and credit card, which will enable you to use PayPal services once more. here you can know the most common causes of this mistake and how to disable PayPal services. You should also look at potential causes, and in order to fully resolve the problem to ensure that it does not occur again in the future, you must then identify the problem that is causing it, and then try for the best possible solution to PayPal error 50023. To get technicians help go to Paypal Nl Bellen.

    ReplyDelete