Wednesday 13 March 2019

Swans in Love

So, today was as wild as I was expecting today, with me nearly being blown over while walking along  the exposed part of Sconce Park. After seeing photos online of a huge tree blown over there, I avoided walking in the cemetery for death related reasons, and concentrated on the other parks and gardens in town.

The River Devon was flooded and choppy, but a pair of swans were serene, not even fanning their wings - or busking - as I approached. They came over, waited for treats that I didn't have to give them, and one of them did a bit of a sort of neck stretch to the other.

Were they a devoted Cob and Pen, deeply in love with each other? Irritatingly they didn't do that heart shaped photo opp thing with their necks, so I couldn't tell.

Perhaps they weren't in love at all, and the neck stretching was a prelude to some sort of gizzard ripping act of violence.

Who knows?

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 13.03.19





6 comments:

  1. Es un placer pasar por su blog Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  2. They never do do the heart shape when I am watching either. We have crows carrying sticks now so nest building....

    ReplyDelete
  3. No idea how to tell Mr from Mrs as far as swans are concerned Si.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cob has a more pronounced black knob at the top of his bill, if you want to tell which is which. I don't know how you know if they're in love (!) but they are very devoted to each other and pair for life. We could learn a great deal from swans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, I had an idea it wasbased on, ahem, knob size but didn't really have grounds for comparison

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they're a devoted couple who just aren't quite yet at the stage for doing the heart shape display yet.

    I really like the shadow of the right hand swan's neck on its back in the first photo

    ReplyDelete