Sunday 24 March 2019

Ladybirds and Cricket

Another bright but slightly chilly day in the wind, but this didn't stop the hairy footed flower bees from carrying on their always slightly demented looking feeding amongst any food sources they could find.

They fly incredibly fast, never settle for a second, and with the white hair on their faces looking rather skull-like at times, always seem rather angry to me. Today, they were probably angry at themselves for trying to feed off pansies, which seem to be utterly useless to any pollinator.

However, their little black pansy faces were useful to other insects, with plenty of 7-spot ladybirds warming themselves up on the black parts of the petals.

I have been at cricket practice this evening, which at my age means getting battered around the nets by 14 year old kids, my illusions of being the next Harold Larwood being shattered by the second. However, my batting is getting better.

Not that it is starting from a very high level in the first place.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 24.03.19



4 comments:

  1. A heck of a lot of ladybirds up here too. Keep on batting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting observation that the ladybirds were warming themselves on the black parts of the flowers. I've seen quite a lot of them recently too. I remember well the first nets of the summer which I always approached with far too much enthusiasm and had a sore shoulder for several days afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of ladybirds on my wildlife allotment this spring too. Had to laugh at your description of the Hairy-footed bees - it sums them up EXACTLY! I get them on my plot and enjoy their company as I potter about. I had a single male on the comfrey on 26th February which was unseasonably early. None seen since but I'm expecting them in the next week or so. Great little characters, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! Gillian, yes they are great but by golly you have to be lucky to photograph one!

    ReplyDelete