Monday 11 March 2019

Manhole Covers

I was at the Town Hall  today, and was struck by the number of venerable old manholes and service covers there were in its vicinity, all of them proudly bearing the legend of who made them.

It reminds me of the times when I used to help my stepfather on his land and architectural surveys. As well as holding the end of a tape measure, a levelling staff or ranging poles, one of my tasks was to help lift up manhole covers and investigate where the contents were going.

This was the hardest part of the job. The covers had often not been opened for years, needed one of a variety of "keys" to be lifted and whichever one you had was  never the right one, which combined to mean that lifting the covers, even with two of us, was incredibly hard work.

Having to stand there holding the cover up while my stepfather dropped his tape measure in to take measurements was a painful business indeed as I wasn't that strong when I was 18 and skinny as a whippet.

Opening up foul drains wasn't much fun either, for obvious reasons.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 11.03.19









4 comments:

  1. That is fascinating, must start to look down instead of up. Although most of our wonderful architecture means you have to look up over the 'orrible shop fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminded me of cycling around some London boroughs when I was in my early teens. Much less traffic then. I could tell which borough I was in by looking at the drain covers as each borough had a different design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for enjoying this rather quirky post!

    ReplyDelete