Sunday 6 May 2018

Civil War Enacting

Town has been heavily celebrating its Civil War connection this bank holiday weekend - for those who don't know, Newark was the second last Royalist stronghold to fall in the English Civil War, after a final siege in 1646, and the Castle and Queen's Sconce were where today's action was centred.

I walked to Sconce Park this morning, and found myself in a sea of tents; the re-enactors real homes for the weekend. I was rather too early for the battle alas; but at the castle they were all in their tents doing their sewing, cooking, smithery, pottery and medieval recorder blowing.

They never seem to have falconry though, sure there must have been plenty of that going on in those days.

Another guy was needing help with his boots.

In the afternoon, I had another, hotter walk, and it was heartening to see so many butterflies out today, in particular the number of Holly Blues and Orange Tips that were in flight. But there were also large white, small white, green veined white, brimstone and speckled wood also seen.

I even did a spot of gardening, trying to tidy it up while keeping it wild. But sheesh, hot work!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 06.05.18













7 comments:

  1. I love enactments. What a fab setting for it too. The cuckoo is singing here as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been hot for the re-enactors too, especially anyone wearing a suit of armour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enactments are such fun. Thank you for the history of the event.

    Glad you saw so many butterflies, always good to hear that.

    Bit too hot for me but am not complaining after all the bad weather we have experienced this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what those who actually fought in the Civil War would think if they could see this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Saw my first Peacock Butterfly today - it looked a bit raggy round the edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the ones that hibernated over winter are probably well past their best now

      Delete
  6. Interesting to see the re-enactment pictures especially after the event I attended recently.

    ReplyDelete