Monday 11 June 2018

Moth Friendly Nature Gardening

Without wanting to overdo the whole "It's been a glorious day" thing again, it's been another glorious day here today, and as well as having a 7km run in the heat, I took my shirt off to be a spot of "Henry Ramsay from Neighbours" style topless gardening.

My garden is a very rough little enclosed space, and its hardly worth me investing in a mower to sort it out, so I use a pair of shears to essentially hack at the grass, while leaving the margins untouched. The only thing I really deliberately hack down are the nettles - they get their revenge by stinging me every time - while I leave the clover, herb robert and forget me nots, as well as the buttercups that have been giving me colour for a while before just starting to go over now.

Falco, the Polish labrador from next door, decided to come and help.

As well as my actual garden, there is an unclaimed space the other side of the fence which I think should be the responsibility of my downstairs neighbours, but I end up looking after. I've sort of left an island in the middle uncut, and it was there today that I spotted a magpie moth trying to get some peace from my hacking.

I finally managed to get a shot of it resting under a leaf.

I also have my pot plants, which are doing very well. I was happy to see a bumblebee feeding off my fuschia, which I always thought was a species of  little use to pollinators.

Not so, apparently!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 11.06.18














3 comments:

  1. Keep up the conservation work, Simon! I leave the comfrey until it's finished flowering - bees love it. Then there's a yellow flower - not sure what it is but it may be a type of hypericum, which they love too. Just pulled/dug hauled most of them out. The forget-ne-nots seed down each year. All much better than the fancy blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to find a way of making it work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nature are the best, thanks Si.

    ReplyDelete