Tuesday 24 October 2017

Ladybird Ladybird and all that

So, while I was engaging in all that geocaching fun, I was keeping an eye for other things too, you wouldn't want me to forget nature while looking for magnetic boxes stuck to armco barriers would you?

So, I kept looking to see what I might see...and it turned out that the creatures most noticeable to me yesterday were ladybirds. The weather was warm and mild, and it seemed to semi wake up our red and black spotty friends, who one would have thought might have been hunkered down in their sleepy holes after a few chilly nights.

Instead, a mild day brought them up to rather lethargically trundle about on the flowers that are still kicking around. I say trundle, they were barely moving.

Like me on a Saturday morning after my shift has finished.

I hope they didn't become easy targets for passing birds.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 24.10.17






4 comments:

  1. That's beautiful Ladybird, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a small article in the paper the other day that said a involving a couple universities study reckons Germany's insect population has declined by 75% since the 1990s. They gave no causes, but pesticide must be high on the list of suspects I would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we have also had large numbers of Ladybirds, sadly most of them Harlequins. Lovely photos, as ever, Si.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the insect decline and pollination crisis has been very much noted here in the UK

    ReplyDelete