Sunday 5 January 2020

Our Poor Cricket Ground

So, sore hip and heel and everything, I thought I'd try and get my mindset ready for the upcoming cricket net practice by having a walk down the cricket ground to see what was what down there.

The good news is that the floodwater has receded, but my oh my, the poor ground is in a terrible state. The grass has been scarred away in many places, leaving mud and algal deposits on the outfield, and it is still very boggy.

It is going to be a real all hands to the pump - literally - job to have a hope of having the ground ready for the new season, and even then it's a slim chance as mega reseeding is going to be needed.

I have been thinking about what I want to achieve this season, cricket-wise. First thing is to get fit; I'm in terrible shape at the moment and I don't seem to be able to do much exercise without hurting something. I've been a bit of wreckage physically since mum died, basically.

Technically, when it comes to bowling, I'd like to do some technical stuff to stop my feet splaying on delivery - it makes me fall away and bowl about a million wides a game. How I can stop this I don't know. Got to bowl around the wicket more too to make the outswinger more dangerous.

I want to field better, I've got good reflexes but they tend to be mainly employed in getting out of the way of the ball rather than stopping it. Plus the fact that I'm as clumsy as anything.

Batting, well how I'd love to get a 50. But realistically I'm too terrible so would settle for a 30. Seeing as I can hit the ball hard, that may be possible.

Key is to STOP STRESSING and enjoy the game more.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 05.01.20









5 comments:

  1. It does look a mess. Your last sentence to enjoy is the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the old days they used to flood the riverside meadows deliberately and reckoned it to be to the benefit of the pastureland, so perhaps the cricket field may recover too once the weather warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poor cricket ground certainly looks in an awful mess but often it is surprising how quickly these things get back to normal once drier weather comes.

    ReplyDelete