Sunday 16 October 2022

Late Season Bumbling

 I'm not doing very much walking, trying to rest my irritating tendonitis ridden ankle, and so consequently I'm not getting to see very much!

It is a frustrating time, to be sure. I need the outdoor exercise for my mental health, but I'm only taking short walks to the park for a cup of tea and to stare angrily at my ankle brace I'm wearing. 

At work, I'm not takingmy usual lunchtime hacks around the campus, instead just trotting down to the entrance gate and back. However, there's still a little to see, on the dandelions and coralberry, and flitting in the trees. 

We have a resident robin, that sings loudly from the fence outside the entrance, and the goldfinches are now forming their tweepy winter flocks. Buzzards are aloft on bright days, and one of our kestrels is back on site having been presumably off breeding during high summer. 

There are still insects on the wing, and indeed, I got this late sighting of a buff tailed bumblebee at work on dandelion. Into mid October, it is a joy to still see them flying around in these rather bleak months. 

I await December, the time when I can start snowdrop and aconite hunting.

Ankle allowing.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 16.10.22







2 comments:

  1. I just can't wait for those aconite pictures of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are the same every year Pat, but I still love them

    ReplyDelete