Wednesday 31 August 2022

Latest Garden Funs

 Well, I'm determined to do more posting again, now that the cricket season is coming to an end and I won't be too sore and battered to go walking and cycling. 

It has taken a long time for some of my pots and planters to get going, but there's a fair bit of, er, action going on now if plants growing very slowly counts as action.

After an eternity, the alysia has come in to flower, after a period during which I thought I'd killed them all and had to thin them. They are great for pollinators apparently, but the flowers look very teeny tiny for that. 

Also after a long old time, there's flowers blooming in one of my seed bomb planters, various little pink, white and purpley things. Not a clue what they are of course.

I have a second, and rather more impressive sunflower in flower, pretty much the sole survivor in its planter. It looks beautiful. And in front of that, I have two planters of nasturtiums on the go, hopefully I'll see flower heads soon, else I might have to thin them. 

I've had a second flush from my coreopsis. and that looks rather nice. Most of the rest of my pots I got earlier in the summer have gone to seed more or less, apart from the geraniums. 

My first season as an incompetent gardener and I've enjoyed it. Some things haven't worked, others have. It's a very middle aged thing to be doing, it feels like, but hey I'm nearly 50. 

The sense of reward when something grows and blooms in the way it should is very gratifiying, and also very helpful from the old mental health point of view. 

Let's see what happens in September.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 31.08.22








5 comments:

  1. Congratulations - there are some nice blooms there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking photos as usual. Watch out for that gardening bug - you'll be making compost next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gardening is for all ages! (I wish I had started earlier.) I love your bold sunflower and coreopsis and all the pretty smaller flowers.
    Thank you for your comment. The word brimstone is so interesting. In Finnish the name is 'lemon butterfly'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little white, pink and purple flowers look like night scented stocks, little flowers that pack a punch to attract night flying insects. Gardening is so good for one's mental health I have been gardening all my life firstly with my dad and then in my own gardens and would not know how I would have coped with Covid lock downs with out my outside space. Continue to enjoy your gardening and each season you will learn more and more.

    ReplyDelete