Wednesday 5 April 2023

And my First Butterfly Photo of 2023 is...

 ...A comma!

So, all of a sudden on Monday Spring sprung in a big way on a cloudless day full of sunshine. It wasn't particularly warm, but all that buzzes and flutters locally decided to take to the skies.

Gaudy female tawny mining bees patrol the ground at high speed, all russet and gold, looking for suitable nest hole sites to make their little volcanoes. Hairy footed flower bees feed manically off drooping star of bethlehem, far too fast to photograph, and in some locales the chiff chaffs are singing almost deafeningly. 

But more significantly, in my aesthetic view at least, like neon leaves being blown on a breeze, was the appearance of brimstone butterflies at last. It is my firm belief that until you see one of these beautiful butterflies, Spring cannot be said to have started. 

Too bad they rarely settle, and the one that did was far too skittish to be photographed. But a gorgeous fresh out of the packet comma was a more obliging subject, settling on a plant by the cycle track for a sunbathe.

I think this is maybe the second year in a row the comma has been my first fluttering capture of the year. I wonder what will be next?

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 05.04.23




4 comments:

  1. Super photos. I saw a few Brimstones on Monday and there were plenty of Chiffchaffs, Yellowhammers and Skylarks singing lustily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness that is an early butterfly - here it's only just the first bees appearing

    ReplyDelete
  3. That butterfly posed so perfectly for you! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is probably the only comma I shall see all year - and beautifully photographed if I may say so Si.

    ReplyDelete