Sunday 27 June 2021

OK, So now we Fielded our own International Player

 Found myself playing for third team this weekend, in a match I wasn't actually supposed to be playing in and hadn't indicated my availability for, as my ankle flared up again after last weekend's match and may back has been sore.

Too bad. Lots of players missing, so I was drafted in. I bought an ankle brace specially, which was very quickly needed as I found myself opening the bowling against our opponents from Claypole.

Opening the bowling really badly. 

Couldn't find a length at all, slipped in a couple wides which means my action has splayed open again, and just got battered. Well, I haven't practiced in a couple of weeks, but it's more than that. Simple fact it, without regular match bowling, my ability falls away. The pandemic has basically ruined my cricket.

My ankle, and the skipper, gave up after three overs.

Luckily there were other good bowlers around, including the skipper himself, plus a mysterious player none of us had met before.

Initially I just assumed that this was one of the skipper's baseball contacts - we had an American with us as well - who would probably be a decent fielder with a strong arm, but that was to understate things massively. 

He produced a dazzling aerial one handed catch initially, before producing some quickly bowled, sharply turning off spin of a standard way too high for the third team - god knows how he didn't take a wicket - then to round things off took the last Claypole wicket with a 70 yard run out from the boundary, that clattered into middle stump on the full. 

The rumour is he has played international cricket for Luxembourg, which I suppose made our complaints about last week's opponents playing a Barbadian overseas pro slightly hypocritical.

I was laughing with both disbelief, and envy at this fielding prowess. I had fielded with great enthusiasm and as much movement as my ankle would allow, but the captain had been careful to put me where the ball tended not to go, knowing well that I am clumsy talented oaf who fields like a baby giraffe. 

Claypole got to 132, far below their usual scores this season, and after a decent start we had a mini collapse. Luckily our captain and our opening bat then took control to steer us to a 7 wicket victory. Knowing I was never going to get a bat as usual, I walked around the ground enjoying all the insects feasting off bramble flowers while watching the game. 

Plenty to see and enjoy during this game, the third team's first victory of the season. As for me, always next week to be rubbish again.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 27.06.21













3 comments:

  1. Didn't know they played cricket in Luxembourg, though I see they have a website which includes a section titled "Was ist Cricket?". Nice to get a victory, though I suspect the 1st or 2nd XIs will poach your latest find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love John's comment above. I bet none of them could take photographs like you have here Si - do send some to Country File for their competition.

    ReplyDelete