Wednesday 21 December 2011

Long Tailed Tits Everywhere

I've not really been following any reports on this or anything like that, but if round here is anything to go by, Long Tailed Tits are having a bumper winter. Everyday I get flocks moving through my gardens, nibbling what they can off the sycamore trees and smaller greenery, and today while out walking I saw a flock working the trees by the marina bridge over the river again.

Ever since I mentioned it to Notts Wildlife Trsut however, I have not seen a single white headed Scandanavian variant however. Sods law in action. I never thought I'd see a day where Long Tailed Tits were a more common sight than Greenfinches, that disease seems to have all but wiped them out round here.

Out by the railway line, near where the X2 Connect building is looking really quite interesting in its half demolished form, there are damson bushes (I think, rather than Juniper) which are seemingly so full of juicy blue-purple berries it looks like they've decorated themselves for christmas. I shall risk a muddy ditch to take pictures next time I am in the vicinity.

With warmer weather, London Road Lake is quieter - only a couple of Tufteds and a lot fewer Black Headed Gulls. A couple of Coots made an attractive sight as they cruised abreast down the little dyke, and the baby moorhens are still about.

It is pleasant enough to sit out today, I suggest everyone spends some time outside taking in the sights!

1 comment:

  1. This post speaks to me on many levels. You have explained things very well and I think you summed it up so beautifully and so poignantly at the end…

    ReplyDelete