Tuesday 9 July 2024

A Magnificent Beast

 I was just walking along next to this coral berry hedge, when I was alerted to this fluttering commotion low down among the leaves. 

What on earth was it? I swear I thought it was a bat initially, although what a bat would be doing crashing about in a shrubbery in daylight was beyond me. But, I do have half a brain, and was able to work out reasonably quickly that what I was looking at was some kind of hawk moth. 

I watched it carefully, taking hold of my cameraphone, and praying it would settle where I could get a photograph. 

It did. 

It wasn't ideal, being somewhat tucked away, but slow as a sloth and holding my breath, I got as close to it as I could. It was a poplar hawk moth, one of the commoner hawk moth species, but not one I've ever seen in glorious reality. 

It was a magnificent beast, probably disturbed by something from its sleeping place and looking for another one. It let me take a couple of shots, peaceful and still, and then I left it to its rest. 

What a thrill it was to see it! Totally made my day. Seeing something you've never seen before is always exciting, but somehow to see this creature was more than that. 

Hope you like it.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 09.07.24




4 comments: