Sunday 12 May 2024

The Glorious Aurora

 Friday night, as I'm sure all my readers know, saw what I suspect was the greatest auroral display seen in this country in my lifetime, with only the event of March 1989 coming close. 

Early in the evening, I'd noticed reports on social media of the aurora being visible in Europe, but hadn't seen any reports from the UK. However, when I left my home at about 1130pm in order to nip across the road to the pub, I noticed what looked like blue clouds directly overhead.

On a hunch, I used the night mode on my phone to take a shot; with the greater light gathering mode, vivid blue arcs were revealed. 

Walking further round the road, a bright band was seen extending across the sky, a photo of this revealed a lurid violet sunset effect stretching across the sky. This was definitely the aurora. Social feeds from the UK revealed picture after picture, most more spectacular than mine. 

It didn't look too good to the naked eye amidst the streetlights, but the photos revealed a lot more. I did a bit of outreach in the pub garden, and soon more photos were being taken. 

I hope you got the chance to see it!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 12.05.24




2 comments: