Friday 17 May 2024

At Last, a Brimstone

 I've commented before that this wettest of springs has not been kind to the early spring butterflies that spend the winters hibernating as imagos. I've barely seen a comma or small tortoiseshell, only the occasional peacock or red admiral, and brimstones, normally one of my harbringers of spring, have barely been up at all.

I've seen an occasional luminous lemon yellow male or white female fluttering by at a distance, and certainly nowhere near mobile phone camera range.

They normally don't let you get within five metres of them anyway. 

Imagine my surprise then, when at work, I came across a beautiful male calmly feeding off rock cranesbill, and entirely happy to let me get close range photographs. I'm guessing that it was still warming up and getting its energy together. 

So here it is, in its lovely vivid glory, just for you!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 17.05.24






4 comments:

  1. What a delightful butterfly. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely photos! I've never seen a Brimstone butterfly, I don't think they live up here in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete