Thursday 4 April 2024

Spring Finally Sprung

 It's taken a long time, with endless wet weather and only occasional fine days that were however rather windy. Poliinators have been slow to take to the wing, and butterflies have been in very low numbers for the time of year - I've barely seen a brimstone up, which I normally consider to be a true sign of spring.

Hence, my first butterfly photo of spring was of a green veined white, which is a first for me. 

That being said, this past few days has seen the emergence of worker bumblebees, various species of solitary bee, lots of lady birds, and of course, the loud singing of chiff chaffs in wooded areas.

Photographing a grey patched mining bee and a two coloured mining bee - or maybe an early mining bee - are both firsts for me. Not seen by me is the remarkable sighting of a black kite at RSPB Langford Lowfields. I wonder if I should cycle out and try and find it. 

I hope you have seen such sights and heard such sounds. I intend to fully enjoy the spring as much as I can. And I hope, show them to you. I'm disappointed to not have had a lot to show you in recent times; this will change. 

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 04.04.24











3 comments:

  1. As usual Si - wonderful shots. Now that I am housebound I need to see most of my Nature second hand and you are one of my main sources. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - haven't heard form you in ages and you come back with these great shots. I have signed up to Bumblebee conservation society and got some identification guides I hope to pout to use but so far this year only one Bumble has been spotted in our garden.

    ReplyDelete