Monday 16 October 2023

Red Admirals and Ivy Bees

 We are deep into autumn now, the last of the hirundids are gone and the winter thrushes are arriving from Scandinavia. Locally the feral geese are arriving at their favourite muddy field down by the river. Cold morning cycling has returned, so its buffs, hats and gloves for me on my commute. 

But there are still bright days and enough verbena and ivy in flower to attract pollinators. The hardy red admirals, always the last butterfly on the wing every year, are still plentiful, and although it took me a while, I found my first ivy mining bee of the season.

I have upped my running, getting in a 10km run at one point, and it certainly seems to be helping with my mental health and burning off excess ADHD energy and reducing tourette tics. 

So let me show you what I've seen while out and about, and I hope you like it.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 16.10.23









5 comments:

  1. Nice pictures. Is it just me or have there been unusually large numbers of Red Admirals about this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have a very patient nature to take photos of bees and butterflies. It is good to see them out so late but apparently the cold doesn't always affect them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, especially the Red Admirals! I've seen many more than usual of these lovely butterflies this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, plenty of red admirals around! Mainly in beautiful condition too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heart warming - beautiful late summer/early autumn images. All would look good framed and hanging on a wall somewhere. Blue sky, chill wind but bright sunshine here. Valerian (not a weed in my garden - I love it), michaelmas daisies and hardy geraniums in full bloom - when the sun is out they look cheerfu but when the Autumnal winds blow and the rain comes they will look sad and defeated.

    ReplyDelete