Thursday 22 June 2023

Mimics and Skippers

 I am conscious of the fact I'm not posting the amount of nature content I'd like at the moment - being a cricket captain takes up a lot of time as trying to get a team of eleven together is the proverbial herding cats kind of experience. 

But believe me, I am still doing my bit. I've been promoting 30 Days Wild Wild, The Wildlife Trusts' annual campaign to get people going outside and taking some interest in what is around them. I always highlight the mental health benefits of it, because when I patrol our un-mowed verges for five minutes I am fully focussed on observing what is there, and all stresses to do with work, life, and the daily challenges caused by Tourettes and Autism disappear. 

There is, of course, the chance that you might find something new, although I didn't think I had when I saw what appeared to be perhaps a tree bumblebee settling to feed on bramble flowers. However, closer inspection revealed that the eyes were far too large to be that of a bee, and that this was actually a fly. 

A bee mimic hoverfly in fact! 

This is the first time I've seen such an insect, although I'm sure they are pretty much common as mud. Not as spectacular as the hornet mimic hoverfly, it is still a striking creature, 

Also making their first appearances of the young summer recently, are the warm weather grassland butterflies the meadow brown and ringlet, and also our numerous workplace small skippers. 

They are easier to photograph than the other species, although you have to be very careful in approaching them, and I managed to find an obliging specimen nectaring from creeping thistle.

I hope you enjoy the content!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 22.06.23







3 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, especially that last Small Skipper. Well done on identifying the bee mimic hoverfly, they are easy to overlook, as from a distance they look so like bees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have not lost your photographic touch Si - beautiful shots. Love your 'herding cats' simile.

    ReplyDelete