Wednesday 7 February 2024

Gosh, a Brimstone!

 A couple of days ago at work, on a very mild day, I was taking a breaktime stroll when I was surprised - to say the least - to see a familiar bright yellow form fluttering around the bushes.

A male Brimstone, up about five weeks earlier than I've ever seen one before, and in beautiful condition.

I think it had perhaps realised it had awoken rather too early, as it was settling much more than brimstones normally do, and seemed very keen to get back into cover perhaps to go back to sleep. 

Judging by my feeds on Instagram and Threads, I'm far from the only person to have come across one!

Have you seen any butterflies out of bed when they shouldn't be?

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 07.02.24




3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen one this year, though I did spot an early one in 2023. As you suggest they can wake for a few hours during winter and then successfully go back into hibernation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post Si and then John's comment above - interesting but I must say nothing much moving in my Northern garden but I will keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea whether it can go back to sleep. It did look rather groggy and not as strong in the air as brimstones usually are

    ReplyDelete