Saturday 21 October 2017

A Late Season Darter

I had no energy today, yesterday at work sorting out events for the Against Breast Cancer day left me exhausted. However I did manage to get down to the River Devon on a bright but very windy morning.

While the ivy flowers, there are still insects around to feed off it, honeybees and red admirals, still flying strong deep into late October. And down by the river, there are still a few common darters about; I found this rather weakly coloured male (I think) soaking up the sun on a leaf.

The migrant hawkers have gone now, and I don't think it's been a good year for them.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature



4 comments:

  1. Nice close up, Simon. I've just heard the weather forecast and Tomas Schaffernaker (or whatever his name is) said that it's warming up again towards the end of the week - good news for the dragonflies (and my heating bill).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I heard that we are going to have a warm spell later this week - just right for my birthday on Hallowe'en.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely photo, the colours of the darter and the leaves complement each other perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully more dragons to be seen then!

    ReplyDelete