Thursday 28 June 2018

The Magic Traffic Island of Delight

So, a few weeks ago I noticed the  council workers were out seeding the traffic island near where I work, the one that has a romantic McDonalds background.

Well, in the last couple of weeks, it has become the nearest thing to a tropical hideaway this side of The Seychelles. One shouldn't be surprised, as they do it every year, but I just love how a barren, polluted wasteland becomes a colour riot for a few weeks every year, as if a Sony Bravia TV advert was being filmed there.

It starts off white and red, as the dog daisies and poppies come into bloom first, but soon after they are overwhelmed by the sun orange arrival of the corn marigolds, which give the island a kia-ora glow for a month or more. Cornflower is also present, and seems to be attraction for the pollinators that visit.

I stranded myself there for a little while as I rode home this evening, a modern day castaway marooned amid roundabout traffic, wondering how all the nature survived the exhaust emissions, and wondering how I was as well.

Indeed I couldn't stay for long. This beautiful asylum is in every sense, only a temporary one.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 28.06.18













2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! It is so good that Councils round the country are starting to plant wild flowers on traffic islands - we have a few round here.

    ReplyDelete