Saturday 9 June 2018

A Choking Defeat

Today was pretty terrible, and I'm still pretty gutted about it. Although I probably won't be so much after I've had a pint after writing this.

We were playing top of the division Bingham 2, who had swept aside all comers in previous weeks, and who I felt coming in might be a bit strong for our side who although we have a strong bowling attack, are a bit light on batting.

So, out at Dale Field, we felt winning the toss and batting Was The Right Thing To Do. It would give us a chance to have a good game. Our youngsters opened up, and everything progressed quietly, not too many runs being scored. Then me and the skipper came  on to bowl, and in my second over, I had their opener caught at cover.

Then a similar service resumed. I'm bowling OK this season without doing anything dramatic, which is really annoying. I really want to explode, to destroy a batting side, but it just isn't happening. I'm not swinging the ball a lot, and not getting much joy out of slow pitches. I'm not getting hit for runs, but not beating the bat as much as I'd like.

Compared to the horrors of later, this was nothing.

They were 80-1, and then our special guest left arm spinning groundsman, and a couple of junior lads, wiped them out for  122.

This was an excellent effort against a team who haven't been bowled out yet this season. I knew they looked like a decent bowling side though, lots of athletic youngsters, and I was worried we wouldn't get the runs.

I needn't have done. Ha. We got to 80-0, as I walked off to inspect some lovely bumblebees and mating garden chafers. The batting against really good bowling was superb. Our injured pace bowler opened, and was dominant in his 50.

And then  it all went to shit. The opposition spinner just shut us down, and their returning fast bowler was a bloody handful as well. The wickets kept falling, I knew I would have to bat.

But, as I eventually went out there with 6 wickets down, I remembered I had won matches from this position before. All I needed to be was calm.

Unfortunately, this didn't happen. I have been batting ok this  year, but I struggle at the beginning always, and in this kind of nervy situation, I just couldn't settle. I didn't know what shots to play, was skittish, and never in control. I was out for 4 lbw, and knew I'd just lost us the game. Our juniors are very strong minded, but lack power at the moment.

We lost by 4 runs. In the South African manner, we had choked. And it was down to players like me who should have known what we were doing. That said, Bingham are top of the table for a reason.

I have the chance to correct this tomorrow. I can bat ok, I know I can. It just didn't happen today. When it mattered.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 09.06.18

Si











2 comments:

  1. Running the leaders as close as that should be seen as encouraging. It's up to the batsmen to get the runs, not the chap batting at number 8. Don't be so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I take my team responsibilities very seriously. Not that it helps

    ReplyDelete