Thursday 15 August 2019

"Just" a Small Tortoiseshell

I've been all over the place today - a brief call in at work during my time off, shopping, cricket practice - my god my batting was dreadful tonight - and a trip to the park for a cup of tea.

It was there that I spotted a small tortoiseshell feeding amongst the orange flowers a bunch of children planted a few weeks ago. It was a beautiful fresh specimen, and its settling itself on a bright bloom made for a very vivid photo opportunity.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 15.08.19






5 comments:

  1. Lovely images, I enjoy watching the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos as always. The Buddlea we recently planted had its first butterfly land, a small white. But its a start. We have recently got a Ceanothus. Not yet planted out. Here is hoping..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought tortoiseshells were fairly common but not seen a single one here although the last week has been too windy for any butterflies.
    Lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have had plenty of butterflies on my purple buddleia, and yesterday the white buddleia had loads of white butterflies. Now was this coincidence or was white attracted to white?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos Simon. Thankfully I have seen far more Small Tortoiseshells this year than last.

    ReplyDelete