Wednesday 20 July 2016

Mummy's Busy!

Was out in my garden, lazing in the sun, trying to get a short blast of ultra violet on my exczema, when I noticed a bird alighting under the eaves of the roof next door.

You may recall that a few months ago I wrote about how my buddleia was cut down - it is shooting new greenery out but not flowering this summer - and I wondered where all my local sparrows were going to sit, and whether it was going to put them off nesting in their next door penthouse like they had always done before.

Well, I think the answer is  that most of the sparrows moved to the hedges, or possibly under the eaves on another side of the building. But one family decided to stay in their usual nest hole, and the bird I was watching was Mrs Sparrow feeding her nestlings.

They look about ready to go from these pictures, and are making a heck of a racket whenever mum shows up every five minutes or so. Mr Sparrow doesn't seem to be doing any work, so she is really working hard.

I would imagine they'll have probably gone at the time I'm writing this, so I'm glad I caught this little scene.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 20.07.16








10 comments:

  1. Lovely to have sparrows nesting. Until this year we have had dunnocks but hardly a sparrow in sight. Thankfully we have recently had a little flock of about five here on occasions. Thank you for your comment on my sand wasp post. You may (?) have seen some of these creatures on Springwatch ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos! They're adorable and they do keep their parents busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smashing pictures. Sparrows are such untidy little nesters that I feel some affinity with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imagiine feeding that lot in yesterday's heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right about the nest John, what a mess! She kept at it so well while I just sat in my chair, forehead streaming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Good captures, Si.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much, pleased with this set. Still a bit soft but ok!

    ReplyDelete