Friday 12 February 2016

The Birds of the Old Oak Wood

The same day as I explored the floods, I also took my customary walk through The Old Oak Wood at Sconce Hills Park to see what birds could be seen there, and to take advantage of the beautiful light for photography.

As you can see, there were a few birds who appeared for my trademark "record shots", sadly none of them too close, but it was still good practice for me. Soon they will be exploring the bird boxes; the piercingly monotonous two tone call of the great tit is dominant at the moment - by dominant, I mean it's one of the few bird calls I recognise!

Spring hurtles on, the displays of aconite are now over, but I have yet to see a bee risking the weather, it has been very chilly the last few days and especially nights. Luckily, I have pre-mixed Mojito for my observing session later!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 12.02.16


Crows in the greenery

Long tailed tit backside

Robin by the Devon

Slightly pensive looking bird

Mrs chaffinch

Head to one side

Then into the light

Fat squirrel

10 comments:

  1. Lovely selection of birds Simon and I really do like the grey squirrel photo :) Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selection, my favourites are the robin and that squirrel.
    Thanks for sharing - have a great weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for dropping by, and your nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant photos Simon, and it made me laugh, your saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the big clump of mistletoe. We have some in trees around here, out on the Forest. Such a bright yellow -green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that was mistletoe! Maybe one crow is waiting for another to make the first move!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo of the crows with the mistletoe

    ReplyDelete