Tuesday 30 April 2024

The Cemetery Bedecked

 Yesterday, before cricket practice - in itself an exercise in futility as the games will probably be rained off again - I took myself for a very gentle run to the cemetery.

It is beautiful, it is peak wildflower there, with the predominant colour being the blue of bluebell and forget me not growing right up to two hundred plus year old gravestones. Buttercup and meadow saxifrage; the last emergences of the season, are now present. and the wild garlic still pungently flowers in its ditch.

It's well worth a pause in my run, on a day that while warmer and dryer than what we'd had before, now had a strong wind that was keeping pollinators out of the air, although I did see a specked wood on the wing. 

Among the beauty, I remembered that this is the worst spring for butterflies I can remember. 

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 30.04.24











4 comments:

  1. Beautiful shades of blue and the rampant growth of a cemetery gone wild with its colourful array.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing beats that deep blue Si. As usual you have brought Spring into my computer room. I watched a programme on Channel 5 last evening about the River Trent from source to the sea. Thought of you - I really enjoyed it but disappointed that it didn't mention Foss Dyke which I think joined the Trent to Brayford Pool in Lincoln and then of course the Witham river to Boston. I rather think that might go back hundreds of years. Do you have any info?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Forget Me Nots and that sea of them looks amazing. Great that the cemetery allows it to look like that rather than perfect mown grass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do mow the cemetery, but not until June when the flowering season is over. As for the Fosse Dyke, that's a fair bit North of here, one of the ast bridges over the Trent at Torksey is where it starts, and apparently it dates to Roman times

    ReplyDelete