Tuesday 30 June 2020

A Butterfly Walk to Kelham

I had a terribly lazy day yesterday, brought on by grey windy weather, but I did manage to get out for a good late run when it was too dark to show you anything.

Today, therefore, was marked by a long walk on a much nicer day to see what I could find you. So I headed out to Kelham again.

The thing that struck me the most was how overgrown the verges were, full of corncockle, ox eye daisy, wild carrot, groundsel, thistle and in particular knapweed. Long may the council not bother to mow them.

This in turn attracted many species of butterfly. On wk walk today I saw:

Red admiral
Ringlet
Meadow brown
Small skipper
Small tortoiseshell
Large white
Small white
Green veined white

A decent haul, I'm sure you'll agree.

Another beautiful, if very sad sight, was a dead yellowhammer on the pavement, possibly after being hit by a vehicle.

I feel that today has been a much better day!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 30.06.20














No comments:

Post a Comment