Thursday 12 July 2018

Apparently they Stink

Checking out the lavender today in the workplace garden - the sun wasn't out at the time so the small skippers were absent for a change - I noticed a very well camouflaged little shield bug, possibly some sort of later instar stage, sitting quietly in the blooms.

A friend later told me that these characters are known as stink bugs. "Why?" I asked. "I never knew they had a reputation!"

"Have you ever picked one up then smelled your fingers?" was the reply.

Well I haven't, but a quick google reveals that in the USA they are known as stink bugs rather than shield  bugs, and can be regarded as an agricultural pest.

And this one looked so innocent!

There were some other goodies  out today, and I tried to capture them as well as I could.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 12.07.18







2 comments: