Monday 7 May 2018

Cycling in a World of Yellow

Well, I've done around 40km on the bike today. not by design either.

I did want to make the most of the weather and the day off, so in the afternoon I headed off into a ride along the cycle path to Cotham and Thorpe, a nice 20km plus ride in a world that has now turned yellow.

Yes indeed, the oilseed rape is in full flower, and on a sunny hot day like this it looks blazing! The familiar cloying smell is also back, it is almost choking if you are running past a field of the stuff.

Unable to get a lift to cricket nets at Collingham in the evening, I ended up riding out their as well. It was certainly a lovely enough evening for it.

I've been keeping an eye out for swifts, but I haven't seen our Newark birds return yet. They have arrived in other towns in the area, ours are perhaps having a break in the countryside or at the beach.

Si

All  text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 07.05.18








8 comments:

  1. When I led walking groups we were told to advise people with asthma to steer well away from this dodgy yellow plant.

    A sure sign of spring, the Italian Giro is with us. An Israeli/Canadian billionaire is supposed to have stumped up $30 million for the start of the first of the big three cycle races to be in Jerusalem. I think tomorrow's stage is in Sicily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, that stuff always brings on my hayfever, something which I didn't get at all when I was younger. They don't allow them to grow it at all around Newmarket as it badly affects the racehorses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thoroughbreds are more valuable than people.

      Delete
  3. Making the most of my E-bike these past few months it has been so lovely riding.. I am loving it. the fields of Yellow look lovely. Still no Swift's here.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see the old castle again Si.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all, I feel it was a productive weekend in all sorts of ways

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the barge, sailing slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whilst I love to see splashes of yellow across the fields, I loathe the smell and the fact it makes my eyes water considerably. Its all around here at the moment :(
    Love the barge museum.

    ReplyDelete