Saturday 17 March 2018

Blizzarding Nature

Wow!

It's been really wild today, if luckily not in such sustained bursts as we had during the other "Beast from the East". All day there have been half hour blizzard periods, with a hailstorm thrown in, and the fierce wind has been blowing spindrift all around the place even when the gods turned the snow off.

As I write this, rather pathetically watching Casualty on my own, it is still falling and settling.

I've been out for a couple of walks today, and my face feels rather sandblasted, but even in the cold I always enjoy it. The flowers are wearing white caps, shivering in the breeze, and the small birds are hiding away. Even a cormorant was finding that the water was too cold, and decided to merely watch the choppy surface of London Road pond rather than fish. A fleet of ducks sailed in the distance on the Blue Lake but it was so wild I couldn't tell if they were goosander or not.

The black headed gulls tried to huddle round the lee of the peninsula in the lake, to avoid their feathery decks getting swamped.

The glory of the snows now had some snow to be glorious in, but they weren't looking particularly pleased.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 17.03.18















10 comments:

  1. Amazing shots.
    I discovered your blog today, congratulations for your wonderful photos.
    Maria de
    Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was rough weather today in Newark and bitterly cold. I had my hair done - left the salon and within minutes looked like I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards ! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I don't know if I have a cold or a pollen allergy. ;-). The weather is so mixed-up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely first image, very dramatic.
    Nice to see the Spring blooms in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grim weather for ducks, geese and little flowers. Not so good for us humans either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your description of the walks you took yesterday Si!

    "The flowers are wearing white caps, shivering in the breeze, and the small birds are hiding away"

    Splendid and your images!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your top picture says it all Si. Nice to see the old castle again - passed it so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photos of the snowy flowers - great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to you all, and welcome to my new guests, it is very good to see you here!

    ReplyDelete