The buddleia in my flint stone postage stamp garden that I cut back to two feet high back in April, has rather predictably grown back to jungle proportions. But along with this, it's lilac flowers have been attracting some rather special guests.
Chief among these is a hummingbird hawk moth. I like to think of it as being the same moth each time, a moth that enjoys my company and the floral spread I have laid on for it, but these moths have been so common in the UK this summer, there could have been different ones.
I've also had hornet mimic hoverflies, equally spectacular creatures and the largest of our hoverfly species in the UK. And among the usual honey bees, drone flies and bumbles, I've even had the occasional ivy cellophane bee drop in, presumably wondering why the heck I don't have any actual ivy here.
I'll probably throw in some non-garden shots, because hey, why not?
Si
All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 10.09.26





We have had lots of hummingbird hawk moths on our hot-lips salvia as well as the buddliea, but still not many butterflies compared to last year. Mostly commas, a few red admirals and only one peacock that I have noticed. Great photos as always. Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteThank you Sue! Yes, I've seen them on salvias out and about!
ReplyDeleteYou have a brilliant camera, and of course photographer;)
ReplyDeleteLovely sightings! We're just back from a week in Dumfriesshire and we saw a couple of Humming Bird Hawkmoths (among many other insects!). Couldn't catch them on film though, but they're amazing insects to watch.
ReplyDeleteThank you all, I remember seeing Silver Y moths in Gallowayshire!
ReplyDelete