Tuesday 23 July 2024

The Library Gardens are Pretty

The Library Gardens, now a nature reserve after the locally famous "Stop the Chop" campaign, has been beautiful this spring and summer, awash with colourful wildflowers and more cultivated species too.

A wildlife pond has been added, where I photographed the broad bodied chaser a few weeks ago, and the wall of flowers on the metal equipment shed has been in full bloom. The bees and bumblebees love the place, with vestal cuckoo bumblebees being particularly numerous. 

Not so many butterflies for some reason, but then it's been a terrible year for them. There's plenty of the low level ground loving species like meadow brown and small skipper about, but the more obvious peacocks and small tortoiseshells have been in very short supply. 

There's been reports of fritillaries locally, which is news to me, so I shall have to go looking!

Anyway, enjoy the pretties I have found for you. 

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 23.07.24









2 comments:

  1. Is that Purple Loosestrife I see Si? It has blown into my garden from somewhere and has made an absolute stunning addition to my side border alongside pink osteospermum and bright red crocosmia. Talk about the clash of the titans.
    As usual I enjoyed your tour - the wild flowers were wonderful and loved the first shot of the bee and the pale blue flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, it's been a bad year for butterflies here too

    ReplyDelete