Thursday 16 September 2021

A Painted Lady!

 I've been seeing a fair few painted ladies flying around lately without ever seeing one settle; later summer migrants to the UK, you can recognise them flying around at this time of year from their paler orange colour than that displayed by the other similar-at-a-distance two species on the wing in September, the small tortoiseshell and the comma. 

I found two on the buddleia at the entrance to Millgate Island, just after an irate and angler had told me I wasn't allowed to go onto the island as "It is only for fishing now and I own it."

Well, I didn't know that.

One of the butterflies was up on the higher flowers in the , but the other was lower down, and rather less energetic so I could get a few photos, which I hope you will agree came out rather well!

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 16.09.21





4 comments:

  1. Good spot. I've only seen one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are terrific photos! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a few earlier in the year but haven't noticed any for quite a while now. The photographs certainly did come out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were a few on the wing in late August and early September. Beautiful species, and fascinating underwings

    ReplyDelete