Saturday 3 December 2016

The Beets are In

Well, today was long overdue haircut day, I like having longer hair but unfortunately when one is a bit thin up top it looks bad and frankly Mark Knopflery.

Having a fairly savage grade 2 cut conceals it rather well. Providing I never sit down and talk to people who are 5 ft 7 or less.

This meant that my run today had to be done relatively early, and so it was, with 6 Music in my ears blasting out some classic goth tracks by The Cult and The Sisters of Mercy, and the grey skies occasionally letting through a hint of blue. I ran across the fields, which were soil brown and empty.

The harvest was in, and you could see where it had been piled up around the fields; great banks of sugar beet, all ready to be loaded up for passage to the sugar beet factory to be made into the delightful series of smells that has plagued this town for years.

A prettier sight was a little egret in the field next to the middle beck in Hawton, which was quickly scared off by kids on illegal motorbikes and quads. Grrrr.

Si

All text and images copyright CreamCrackeredNature 04.12.16












11 comments:

  1. Nice pair of legs there! Notice you didn't give us a shot of the haircut, surely the barber could have taken one for you.
    Those sugar beet photos brought back memories of my years in Lincolnshire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the haircut photo then?
    Used to love the smell of the sugar beet factory in Bury St Edmunds when I worked there in the 70's

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did laugh at the hair! Great shots of the beet, haven't seen that for donkey's years :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all, I'm not a great photographic subject, facially! Legs are a bit Nora Batty in my wrinkly leggings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smell of sugar beet processing does sound better than the smell we used to get in Grimsby from the fish meal factory just up the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As someone who saw SoM in concert many years ago, believe me when I say Andrew Eldritch looked much better with short hair than long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome! He got his hair cut short at one point and started trundling around with a white suit on, second album time at a guess.

      Delete
  7. Oh I love the shot of the pony there - we have some in the fields near us here and they're so inquisitive. Smell from the sugar beet sounds lovely too! And you cannot beat a bit of The Cult and Sisters of Mercy, I have my parents to thank for introducing me to their music growing up as otherwise I wouldn't know about them! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice photos - specially the lovely horse!

    can't beat listening to classic goth.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thaniks everyone, Radio 6 music have been awesome during this afternoon's run

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just came back across to say thank you for the lovely comments! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete