Wednesday 14 January 2015

Owl Hunt to Ayres Rock

I've heard from a couple of sources about the owls that live along the cycle path...

Not just any old owls either, but long eared owls, the most owly of owls. I ran for three miles along the cycle path, eyes fixed on the hedges giving my gait a curious tilt, as if I had an internal balance failure.

Certainly the guy riding helmetless on a motorbike on the CYCLING path must have thought I was mad, as he clunked past me a couple of times.

Of course, as with the short eared owls of the Owl Road, I saw no owls, just spring flowers like snowdrop and very early crocuses, a fleet of pochard, and unlucky juvenile herring gull trailing a plastic bag from its legs in flight that made it look like a frigate bird.

I also decided to hop through a gate and explore "Ayres Rock" (thank you Nick Crouch!) - a spoil heap on the way to the rubbish tip. It was a bleak and barren place, but the views were great and the wind was giving a feeling of adventure, blasting across the grassland at a thousand miles an hour and cutting through my windproof running jacket like s scythe.

I returned townwards along a path that looked merely muddy, but was in actuality a total swamp. Trail running shoes wouldn't have been as much use as flippers. About halfway along - this is opposite the Owl Road on the other side of the path, I  flushed a largish brown bird out of the hedge and it flew along the ditch.

Of its identity, I had no clue.

Si


Gang of pochard

Science vehicle

Science people

Ayres Rock through the hedge

Dense hedgerow

Sun over the muddy trail

Ayres Rock in the distance

Lichen coloured

No men at work on Ayres Rock

Long grasses

British Gypsum in the distance

On top of Ayres Rock

Ditch

Swamplands

Home to a foraging blackbird
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment