Monday 26 December 2011

Boxing day run

I was good today and yesterday. After a brisk walk for an hour on christmas day, I found today even warmer for the "If you don't do this you will end up as fat as a barrel" run this morning.

With the sun out it felt positively springlike. And I wasn't alone in thinking that.

As I turned on to the path leading onto to the cycle path from London Road by the bridge, a leaf flew up from the ground and bothered my face, before spiralling higher into the air and being blown down the road a little way by the breeze. Noticing the leaf didn't seem quite right, I followed it to where it settled, and found a very foolhardy red admiral butterfly. Foolhardy, but hardy indeed; I have never seen one outside this time of the year. Ever. Judging by the condition, it's a hibernator from last year rather than from a wintering pupa, but I wouldn't really know, to be honest.

I was really rather startled to see it, but it shows how unseasonal the weather it. 12-14 odd today it was.

In other news, I have a new pair of 10x50 binoculars for day and night use. Trying them out last night I had great views of the Orion Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy and the Perseus Double Cluster.

No comments:

Post a Comment