Monday 1 August 2011

Small Blue or Common Blue?

Thanks to being bought a handy pocket butterfly guide with decent illustrations - thanks folks for getting me that on your trip to the RSPB site at Rutland Water - I can now tell Small Blue and Common Blue butterflies apart.

I know, it's probably not earth shattering news to the hot shot naturalists out there! But I'm pleased. I can now say I've seen both around my house.

The small blue is darker, and I as I remember thinking when I saw one out just as I was starting on my run yesterday, almost looked like a flying parma violet sweetie! The Common Blue is slightly larger, and a much truer, purer blue. Two of these were about the only butterflies I saw today, as I cut my grass with a pair of comially blunt shears.

In addition to this, might

No comments:

Post a Comment